Site Admin
Επικοινωνία:

Caution users reviews and info

Δημοσίευση από WindRider »

Petter
Rare Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:23 am Post subject

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there, maybe someone could help me out and offer some advice on Caution-kites?

Now here's the problem: I'm planning on updating my gear and I'm probably picking Caution. These kites seem to be everything I want: good and ease performance and great construction.
At the moment I have a quiver with a 14 m and 9 m kite. It's a bit small for me (84 kilos, about 185 lbs I guess) but on the other hand my 14 m kite (2004 CO2) isn't really delivering. So now I'm trying to figure out if I'll be okay with buying just the 14 m2 Spitfire II and keeping my 9 m, instead of changing the whole set and buying 16 & 12.

A new bigger set (16&12) would of course be a good choice but I'm a bit short of money. So buying just the 14 would be a lot cheaper.

I really like kiting with a 14 meter kite. We often have gusty winds in Finland and I feel really safe with a 14 since it doesn't get too big that easy. It's just a great allround size. But on the other hand I'd really like to have a bit more low-end.

So basically what I wanna know is:

1) Is the lowend of the 16 m significantly better than the lowend of the 14 m? Any estimates of the difference in windrange?

2) Is the 14 m a significantly funnier kite than the 16 m? Will I be smiling more on those good windy days with a 14?

Sea&Sun
Frequent Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:07 pm Post subject

I would contact Caution Kites and hear what they have to say. They would know whats best.
kitesurf66
Frequent Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:25 pm Post subject

Peter,

What's the wind range you want to use the kites in? What kind of wind range do you use your 9 in? What size board are you using? There are a few variable to play with before deciding.

K66
Bradders
Rare Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:48 pm Post subject

Spitfire2 16m needs about 12 knots to be having fun (at 85 kg) on medium sized board. Not a super light wind kite but very big wind range, great depower and feels as fast as most 14m. This is a great kite, smooth power delivery, great depower, fast through the air and turning, big floaty jumps. Comes well recommended.
Petter
Rare Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:58 pm Post subject

kitesurf66 wrote:
Peter,

What's the wind range you want to use the kites in? What kind of wind range do you use your 9 in? What size board are you using? There are a few variable to play with before deciding.

K66

Well, I rarely get to use the 9, it's seldom windy enough for it. But I'd pick it up the moment my 14 is just too big. I guess that would somewhere around 20+ knots. They overlap pretty good.
I want as much range as possible and therefore a quiver 16+12 would be great, but if I don't lose much lowend by buying the 14 instead of the 16 then that would probably be just as good.

My board is a Ocean Rodeo TT 142x36, a pretty decent allrounder I guess.
kitesurf66
Frequent Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:00 pm Post subject

Quote:

Well, I rarely get to use the 9, it's seldom windy enough for it. But I'd pick it up the moment my 14 is just too big. I guess that would somewhere around 20+ knots. They overlap pretty good.
I want as much range as possible and therefore a quiver 16+12 would be great, but if I don't lose much lowend by buying the 14 instead of the 16 then that would probably be just as good.

My board is a Ocean Rodeo TT 142x36, a pretty decent allrounder I guess.

Given your weight, winds and board (narrow), just like the post above says, the 16 is your best bet. I have the 16 04, and to me it rocks, and from a chance I had to try the 16 05, I think it is an awesome kite. Go for it, you won't regret it. Don't forget to let us know how it worked for you.

K66
Petter
Rare Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:33 pm Post subject

kitesurf66 wrote:

Given your weight, winds and board (narrow), just like the post above says, the 16 is your best bet. I have the 16 04, and to me it rocks, and from a chance I had to try the 16 05, I think it is an awesome kite. Go for it, you won't regret it. Don't forget to let us know how it worked for you.

OK, thank you very much for the advice! One more question though: how high does the 16 go? My 9 is a early puller so maybe, just maybe, I could actually get away with these two kites as a quiver. Oh well, finding a cheap 12 metre shouldn't be that difficult either. We'll see.
Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:51 pm Post subject

I was going huge yesterday in Acapulco with my spit II 16 05, and had the strap pulled in almost all the way, i think it must have been 18-22 knots, maybe a little more, with my underground FLX 06 132 x 39, and i weigh 81 kg plus gear. The ocean had weird disorganized chop which didn't help me set an edge. It was a funny feeling because i just got back from 3 weeks in cabarete where all i used was my 12 spit II which has a huge huge range. The 16 felt really different, but what i noticed is that it really is almost as fast as the 12, and the jumps are much floatier. 16-12 or 16-10 i think you could not go wrong. The 14 and 10 are supposed to be the best cautions out of all of the line.
Petter
Rare Poster

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:11 pm Post subject

kitesurf66 wrote:

Don't forget to let us know how it worked for you.

I ain't forgetting!

Well, as advised I bought the 16m and I think that was the right decision. I've only had a couple of sessions with the kite but I already feel really confident with it - it's just so stable and easy. And not to forget: really powerful also. I'm really happy about all this lowend I've never experienced before. The construction is also way better than on my Cabrinha from last summer so maybe I don't have to fix this kite all he time...

Before my first session with the kite I had tuned the backlines pretty tight. That was a mistake, I had to ride with the depower pulled in all the way and it still didn't feel right. Since that I've loosened the backlines a lot and it's really done the trick. But I'm not really sure I've yet found the best tuning so any opinions on this topic would be really appreciated!

Another thing I'd like som opinions of is the donkey dick. Do you use it as a standard donkey dick attached to the loop or have you attached it to your harness? I think it seems like a neat thing to attach it to the harness but it's just so long that it doesn't fit my hook if I don't cut of half of the dd. And I really don't wanna cut the donkey dick in half if it isn't a good idea to attach it to the harness...
Hypoxic1
Rare Poster

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:09 am Post subject

4 perfect days in a row Caution 16, Caution 20, Cabrina23.5

Caution wins. Packs away nicely, travels nicely, turns dam fast, good low end grunt, excellent top end, good depower, unbelieveable relaunch...which I just cant seem to get from my Cabrinha Contra

I believe that the Caution SpitfireII is the best all around kite I have ever flown. I have been kiting for 9 months, 3 days a week, typically.
Wish they made a 22

As far as fabric weight goes, or stiching quality.......I have had the Cautions since day one, as well as the contra.....The contra was the first to get a tear in the sail.......just apparrantly from gentle contact with the inflated rib during roll up.....Never had that happen with a caution

Cheers!
Εικόνα
Εικόνα

www.WINDRIDER.GR
Extreme Watersports Center: WindSurfing - Kitesurfing - Surfing Market
Λεωφόρος Κυπρίων Ηρώων 69, Κάτω Ηλιούπολη, 163 41 Αθήνα
Τηλέφωνα: 210 9954992 & 210 9914171
Fax: 210 9954899
E-mail για πληροφορίες: info@windrider.gr
http://www.windrider.gr/img/map.jpg
http://www.windrider.gr/img/windrider_map_zoom.jpg
Απάντηση